REACH and Domus Line
REACH _ DOMUS Line and the European legislation on chemicals.
REACH, acronym of Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation of Chemicals, is a regulation of the European Union which has been in force since June 2007.
The objective of the REACH regulation is to improve the protection of people’s health and the environment from the risks posed by chemicals. It also promotes alternative methods to animal testing for assessing the hazardous nature of chemical substances.
REACH applies to all chemical substances, not only those used in industrial processes but also to those used in our day-to-day lives, for example in cleaning products, paints, clothes, furniture, electrical appliances and so in lighting devices too.
The requisites set forth by REACH are in line with the approach Domus Line takes to handling chemicals. Indeed, Domus Line manages chemicals based on the principles of precaution and replacement of the hazardous chemical substances indicated in the REACH regulation.
The guidelines envisage that:
- all Domus Line products should always be safe for human health and for the environment;
- the use of chemicals or substances that could potentially harm people and the environment must be reduced or eliminated in the DOMUS Line products and production process;
- all Domus Line products distributed globally must comply with the chemicals restrictions in the European REACH regulation;
- to our knowledge, no Domus Line products shall contain any of the highly hazardous substances in the SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern) candidate list. This list is constantly updated by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA);
- the only exception, due to the limits imposed by current technology, are the phthalates in the PVC of certain lighting cables. Studies are being carried out to identify possible alternative materials but these can only be introduced after further safety tests on electric cables have been performed;
- if one of the countries in which Domus Line operates implements stricter legal requisites regarding chemicals for the protection of health, safety and the environment, it will undertake to also apply these in its own products and in all its markets;
- these requirements will be also adopted by Domus Line suppliers;
- in case one of its products exceeds the limit of 0.1% with regard to its content of SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern), Domus Line will promptly notify this;
- should one of these substances be detected, Domus Line will immediately communicate the name of the chemical as required by the REACH regulation, and will also explain the reason why this substance must be used in the product.
For more information about the REACH regulation visit: